Bookmark and Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
macedonia View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote macedonia Quote  Post ReplyReply #1 Topic: Macedonian Currency
    Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 23:02
Hello, I wanted to make a thread on the Macedonian denar. No offence, but I think Macedonian currency looks very strange. It has been in use since 1996, so are there any plans to change the look of the banknotes and introduce new ones? I think all of Macedonia's neighbors uses the euro or has banknotes that look similar to the euro. What do you think?
Macedonicus View Drop Down
Google Maps: Regional Expert

Quote Macedonicus Quote  Post ReplyReply #2 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 01:42
The currency looks totally fine to me.
macedonia View Drop Down

Quote macedonia Quote  Post ReplyReply #3 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 04:28
I'm just saying most countries use different colors and sizes for different denominations. Macedonian notes all look the same. Also more countries are making it more difficult to counterfeit notes, some are using polymer (plastic) notes.
macedonia View Drop Down

Quote macedonia Quote  Post ReplyReply #4 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 04:29
Denar Stable, Macedonia Watching Closely Economic Situation in Greece                 
Monday, 10 October 2011

Macedonian denar is stable and the serious situation in Greece will not affect its exchange rate. The denar stability depends on healthy policies of Macedonian authorities, finance minister Zoran Stavreski says.

According to him, two scenarios are possible for Greece. It can either proclaim itself unable to settle its own debts and cause panicking on the capital market or it can declare a controlled bankruptcy. Both situations are not good.

All missions and reports of international financial institutions evaluate Macedonia as a country with the healthiest economic policies in the region.

As long as the overall economic solvency is under control through maintenance of a low budget deficit level and maintenance of predicted money supply, the stability of the banking sector is guaranteed, Stavreski says.
Граѓанин View Drop Down

Quote Граѓанин Quote  Post ReplyReply #5 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 04:37
I have never met anyone who objected to the banknotes' design, even at the time of their introduction in '96. Moreover, I have never met even anyone discussing it, or comparing it with other currencies in any form of argumentation. It is generally considered to be representative, aesthetically pleasing, tasteful and artistic.
I went to a friend who has a massive currency collection of all regions and eras and, trust me, there are some properly weird ones

What is, I think, remarkable about the denar banknotes is not just their beautiful and well-integrated design, but also the fact that they do not feature any person on them (apart from fresco reproductions). There is a reason for that, but I will not go into it in this comment.
Граѓанин View Drop Down

Quote Граѓанин Quote  Post ReplyReply #6 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 04:42
Originally posted by macedonia

I'm just saying most countries use different colors and sizes for different denominations. Macedonian notes all look the same. Also more countries are making it more difficult to counterfeit notes, some are using polymer (plastic) notes.

The denominations of the denar do differ in size, but not greatly. All of the banknotes are totally different in colours and patterns, and the denar is perhaps the most 'un-same' looking currency you will ever find. There is practically nothing similar between any two denominations of the denar. (most currencies have much more unification to them, eg. the euro).
The safety features introduced were very advanced at the time, and still satisfy all modern requirements. Otherwise we would have heard about it long ago, when those standards were being consolidated with the EU ones.

Edited by Граѓанин - 05-Nov-2011 at 04:47
macedonia View Drop Down

Quote macedonia Quote  Post ReplyReply #7 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 04:48
Originally posted by Граѓанин

What is, I think, remarkable about the denar banknotes is not just their beautiful and well-integrated design, but also the fact that they do not feature any person on them (apart from fresco reproductions). There is a reason for that, but I will not go into it in this comment.

I was thinking about this too, because other countries in the region feature prominent people from their nation's past. I don't know why Macedonia does not do this? Also, I always felt strange of the religious images on the currency (Virgin Mary with child, angels)?
macedonia View Drop Down

Quote macedonia Quote  Post ReplyReply #8 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 04:59
I don't know how people feel but there are many great intellectual Macedonians who I think should be featured on the banknotes: Nikola Karev (revolutionary), Krste Misirkov (language), Voydan Chernodrinski (Theatre), Dimo Todorovski (art), etc.
Граѓанин View Drop Down

Quote Граѓанин Quote  Post ReplyReply #9 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 05:00

I was thinking about this too, because other countries in the region feature prominent people from their nation's past. I don't know why Macedonia does not do this? Also, I always felt strange of the religious images on the currency (Virgin Mary with child, angels)?

That phenomenon (I have to call it a phenomenon because it is one) is due to the two main political blocks perceive history, and the neighbouring countries with their negatory politics. Perhaps the second factor is the main one. It is too big an issue, and so far they have been reluctant/unwilling to address it. So much so, in fact, that I haven't heard it ever being mentioned.

The religious images are reproductions of the frescos that are considered to have special 'national treasure' status and there is no religious intention behind chosing to feature religious imagery on some banknotes. Those frescoes just happen to be well-known, just like the mosaics and the ancient artefacts on the other notes.

Edited by Граѓанин - 05-Nov-2011 at 05:21
Cloverstack View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Cloverstack Quote  Post ReplyReply #10 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 13:14
An old thread about the Denar:

http://www.build.mk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=246

Edited by Cloverstack - 05-Nov-2011 at 13:14
OCB View Drop Down

Quote OCB Quote  Post ReplyReply #11 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 14:40
Originally posted by macedonia

I don't know how people feel but there are many great intellectual Macedonians who I think should be featured on the banknotes: Nikola Karev (revolutionary), Krste Misirkov (language), Voydan Chernodrinski (Theatre), Dimo Todorovski (art), etc.

Video featuring an artist who designed such banknotes in 1991:

A newspaper article about the history of the Denar:

http://www.utrinski.com.mk/?ItemID=74AC2A8AFDBF7B429DEA152106BD98DB
macedonia View Drop Down

Quote macedonia Quote  Post ReplyReply #12 Posted: 05-Nov-2011 at 15:27
thanks
macedonia View Drop Down

Quote macedonia Quote  Post ReplyReply #13 Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 03:51
The old Greek drachma (we might see it again soon)

Post Reply Post Reply