Bookmark and Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Arioch13 View Drop Down
Newbiе
Newbiе

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arioch13 Quote  Post ReplyReply #1 Topic: Alternative Energy in Macedonia
    Posted: 28-Jun-2010 at 23:17
Hi.   I am English and have for sometime been looking at investment opportunity in Macedonia on behalf of a conglomerate of HNW individuals interested in funding new start alternative energy projects in the region.   For the last year and some months I have been looking into several different areas in which our investors have  indicated a desire to invest in Macedonia.  However but I find I am blocked every time by the odd communi or simply because a process to obtain a license for something either doesnt exist or isnt available.   Now I know there are local solutions to this problem by leveraging local contacts etc to secure agreements etc however this is not a the sort of conduct our investors (including myself) will support.  I am looking for opportunities which have processes and licenses and do not really on any sort of questionable relationships for their security in the future.

Most recently I was asked by our investment partners in Dubai to investigate potential for an exploratory investment in alternative energy. Primarily focussing upon a setup of around 800,000k (Euros or less) in Multiple Micro and small hydro businesses.   The first step was to construct a small pilot as proof of concept.  This has over the course of the year been impossible to achieve so far Macedonia has no clear process for Micro Hydro facilities and no tenders for Micro Hydro sites have been produced as far as we know. ( we were told by the Metrological/Hydro institute guys that they expect people to tender for something that a farmer would use to drive a small pump?.  How do you get a proof of concept off the ground?  The tenders we have seen have been around 400k-500k+ Small hydro projects.  We have actually got to the point where we would like to recommend one of these with investors but were unable too due to the confusion around the energy licenses, water usage and other required to develop a small pilot.  

I am currently looking at hydro and biofuel investment across the balkans and we still have partners interested in possible biofuel production facilities based in Macedonia.  Does anyone have any experience or tips in bio production within Macedonia. Is it even a possibility for ethical invesment?

Initially we have been looking at Ethanol, bio diesel and solid brickett form biofuels based on crop derivatives and/or recovered biomass respectively.  If anyone has uncovered a process for understanding the licensing for such facilities in Macedonia or even someone within the various agencies that understands them I would be greatful for any information you can offer.  Given the failure to invest in Macedonia we have now broadened our target area to include serbia, kosovo and other Balkans countries so please do be good enough to share your experience of opportunity across the Balkans if you feel it is relevant and of course not sensitive to your own efforts.  If someone has information concerning the viability of investing in alternative energy at the entry level in any of these countries (particularly Macedonia even if its just to say dont waste any more time there I would appreciate it. (Small pilot to 50k with second round funding of up to 1Mil Euro, (third round not defined). 
гитардемон View Drop Down

Quote гитардемон Quote  Post ReplyReply #2 Posted: 28-Jun-2010 at 23:40
I would really like to tell you that it's possible to obtain all the necessary licenses without bribing (showing gratitude is more like it Stern%20Smile) almost everybody there is to bribe, but if we rely on what we hear on the news and especially on the street every day, than that scenario is almost impossible.

So, if you're not ready (nor wiling) to pay up, I'm afraid there's not much perspective for your plans here, as much as would like to state the opposite.

However, I myself have no experience whatsoever (and I doubt any of the other enthusiasts here have any) with this sort of things, but just in case anyone else is willing to share their experience and knowledge, they're more than welcome to do so (and repair the damage I've done to our "investment paradise's" image).

Edited by pbanks - 29-Jun-2010 at 10:23
Vladimir P View Drop Down

Quote Vladimir P Quote  Post ReplyReply #3 Posted: 29-Jun-2010 at 11:45
If you have a man in Macedonia who have contacts, then we can pass more easily.
Клуб на љубители на железниците во Македонија, Macedonian Railways Fan Club
https://www.facebook.com/767277056651521/
MKballer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MKballer Quote  Post ReplyReply #4 Posted: 30-Jun-2010 at 03:12
Arioch13,
The opportunity for investment in alternative energies in Macedonia is exponentially large.  Not just in bio-diesel and ethanol, but in other forms, such as solar, wind, and even the production of electric vehicles.  Also, relative to other countries in Southeastern Europe, Macedonia is quite cheap from an investor's perspective.  If you would like help and/or contacts, please don't hesitate to send a private message to my inbox on this forum.  I would be glad to help!

All the best!
 Post Reply Post Reply